PDA

View Full Version : Norton Gives error in RAM ??

17-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi All
I have had a 1.7Gb P4 for the last 6 months .It has a Gigabyte board with 2 256SD Rams in the 2 slots available.
When I run Norton System works Hardware test it gives me a error at address 374312960 now if I run the test on each of the rams on their own and in slot 1 .Neither gives any indication of a problem. I would not worry if I did not keep getting freezing of my system. Done it twice last night half way through typing this in.
Please help if you can. I suspect the 2nd slot may be defective but how could I prove it under warranty. I purchased from QMB in Mt Roskill and have found them quite good .As they have already replaced the 40 Gb hard drive after it created a bad cluster. They sure gave me a computer with more bang for my buck . But its like you get what you pay for and I could not compare them to the service dept at PB tech were I bought my previous comp 4.5 years ago. Not so switched on or understandable.
A problem found by so many Kiwi's with an industry so dominated by migrants.
Anyway I hope to find a solution myself and not relie on anothers diagnostic abilities

17-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Looks like a bad address line since both sticks are 'OK' when they are located low.

The shop ought to be prepared to try some other ram in that 2nd socket and do any test they can think of, if they don't like the Norton's test. The motherboard will be guaranteed too.

Otherwise, just make sure that you don't use more than 300 MB or so of memory. ;-)

17-05-2002, 07:40 PM
I presume you have Systemworks 2001? You will find an article on Norton's site about this. The diagnostic does not work if more than 256M of ram is installed. This utility is not included with 2002.

17-05-2002, 08:49 PM
I had heard something like this but could not get any confirmation of it.
This may be the answer.
Thanks