PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Columns - Word 2000

16-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Some weeks ago, in Microsoft Word 2000, I formatted a document into two columns. Now every new document I start off is set in two columns - I cannot seem to return the automatic setting to the default 1 column. Any advice would be appreciated.

16-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi Judith,
I have had Word for a while now, and the only way that i can see.
Is you my have accidently saved as a template.
Just gone through the process of columns and have no problems.
Have you gone to Format/Columns and reset the columns there.
Might help.

Merlinnz :-)

17-05-2002, 01:10 AM
As merlin... has suggested you have probably saved something with double columns as a Normal Template. Load the Normal Template (assuming that that is the one you use - the name appears in a box near the top of the screen), change the setting back to single column (don't do anything else) and resave it. It's filename is normal.dot.

01-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi Judith

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I had the same problem so I kept a link to this item in case someone came up with a cure. There were definitely no columns set in my normal.dot template.

Anyway, today I decided to put a bit of time into it, and I eventually determined that it was in fact the absence of a template (at least in my case).

On my Win NT system at work I had set up two profiles and I ended up using profile-B as my usual signon, whereas the 'file locations' in Word were pointed to the templates folder for Profile-A, which was empty.

I simply changed the address for User Templates in the 'File Locations' tab of the Options dialog (tools menu) to the correct profile (whose templates folder DID have a normal.dot) and the problem was gone.

Still, it's odd behaviour for Word to default to two columns rather than advise you that it couldn't find a template.

Cheers

John.

02-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your response John. No, I haven't had a response yet which was helpful - tried them, but nothing worked yet. Am still working on the problem - and still irritated about having to change the setting for everydocument I start.

One other part of the problem is that I'm not particulary knowledgeable or confident about 'getting under the bonnet' of my computer.

Regards
Judith Harper