PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Prices

16-05-2002, 10:45 AM
I need a digital camera for my business. The Sony I selected costs about $2500-00 in NZ. Six reputable firms in the U.S. sell them at about NZ$1200/1300, the lowest is NZ$1136-00. Am I overlooking something here or are we being ripped off horribly ? I realise there will be postage etc but hey?

16-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Lens,

No, we're not being horribly ripped off, its all just a matter of economics.

New Zealand just doesn't have the demand for them that the US has, so we can't get them as cheap. The reason a place like the Warehouse can sell stuff so cheap is because they buy a LOT all at once, so get everything heavily discounted due to bulk ordering. The same sort of thing happens with countries - the more a country buys of something, the cheaper they can get them.

Mike.

16-05-2002, 11:27 AM
if u are gonna get it shipped down here i suggest u buy from eBay - least from a v reputable seller u get a quality product than a e-shop tryin take their adv on u since u are overseas.

digicams do not normally have intl warranties anyway. so u mind as well get it from a very respected seller on eBay - even cheaper. And they use USPS postage instead of the super $$ UPS/FEDEX intl global priority tracking and insured compulsory. They would prob add some of their labour too (ie mail service costs). You would also not be paying the actual p+p costs - they charged their own.

So go with eBay .. u can get used, slightly used, some on warranties left, some new sealed packages warranty commence from day bought since some own stores and sell via ebay. If it stuffs up can repair in USA, or buy another one in US is still cheaper than just one in NZL.

I have bought 2 laptops, webcam. many products are like 25% of USA manufacture RRP$.

Can pay via paypal with c/c.

goto www.usps.com
for postage needs.

Also value declared on package is converted to $NZ and if GST (12.5%) is least $50NZ they will charge u b4 letting go the product at Auckland Airport Customs but if 12.5% of value of product is worth less than that u pay no GST. I have not tried it buy worth a shot .. asking the seller to declare a lesser value than it is ... no GST ... but no insurance. But thats a personal risk u have to make yourself.

I now planning to replace my PCMCIA LAN card with a internal model 3Com 56k modem + 100BT LAN ($49US incl freight sea - $500 in NZ exl. GST + FREIGHT). Also the laptop RAM 256MB $70US vs $300NZ. If the ram breaks down 3X it will still be chaper than DSE or IBM sells for about $500NZ!!

I got a laptop $5000NZ, got for about $3000NZ incl freight air, GST Duties at Auckland airport 12.5% (at the time NZ/USA Xchange rate was 2.5. Now is good since xchange rate is 2.1 - applying this to my laptop it would of been $2600 instead. It even had 2.5yrs of intl warranty left on it.

RC

16-05-2002, 11:58 AM
After my postgraduate study and some work of course building my travel savings up. I plan to do a stopover in the USA following Asia, Europe and Canada.

Many sites USA sellers only sell to USA residents. The cheaper ones from company liquidators or obsolute parts, refurbished ... ... plan to get a SCSI 160 HDD 20GB, 15,000 RPM, 3.6msec for $300NZ while on trademe it goes for $2,500NZ.

Yeah .. maybe a Digicam and a case that can change a laptop's removable drives to work with USB 2 (ie. a desktop). Flat panels 17' Samsung $350US, Sony 18' $1,000US. These are sealed boxes.

Can't wait!!

RC

16-05-2002, 12:00 PM
After my postgraduate study and some work of course building my travel savings up. I plan to do a stopover in the USA following Asia, Europe and Canada.

Many sites USA sellers only sell to USA residents. The cheaper ones from company liquidators or obsolute parts, refurbished ... ... plan to get a SCSI 160 HDD 20GB, 15,000 RPM, 3.6msec for $300NZ while on trademe it goes for $2,500NZ.

Yeah .. maybe a Digicam and a case that can change a laptop's removable drives to work with USB 2 (ie. a desktop). Flat panels 17' Samsung $350US, Sony 18' $1,000US. These are sealed boxes.

Can't wait!!

RC

16-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Cheep prices in USA may be a grey import into that country and you will find cameras and instructions in Japanese. Also box contents may not match equivelent NZ box. Suggest you Check www.superbuys.co.nz for price. If not sure of internet shopping I found the Sony shop Wellington would match prices.

17-05-2002, 12:05 PM
After 1.5 yr old usage .. I have got a new HDD replacement and a CD-ROM replace,emt via Auckland IBM. The HDD died and the CD ROM door was jamming with the frame - otherwise worked fine - they gave me a completely new one. Each couried within 24hours to Dunedin.

I also managed to get a free copy of win98se recovery cd, lotus smartsuite and lotus notes. Came with full boxes in english .. even a spare laptop rubber mouse button, machine manual, win98se manual, certificates to obtain lotus for free, cd rom carry case when it gets removed. Win98se sticker license was included underneath machine. Many computers bought overseas and within NZ does not come with windows manual but rather a PDF document ... unlike this one. The seller had like 70+ feedbacks whcih at the end we each enxchanged +ve feedbacks.

The seller did not purchase a carry bag when he bought it, so I will source with a fren overseas since eBay does not have them and NZ does not sell them despite they sell this model in NZL. For reasons I do not know and understand - its a ultra portable.

I mean think about it, if a fren visit u and gave u are present from overeseas ... or simply if u went to LA and bought one on holiday or business trip. Can u really differentiate that as a grey import to a NZ 'gold' product?? I can't. At the end of the day a apple is a apple. Mainstream models only offer 12 month warranties anyway ... and they are not the most people to deal with anyway (any country). If you did happen to obtain Japanese .. it should be able to obtain a enlgish version on web or someone else has a similar model. I was given a Sony cellphone from SE Asia but manual was in German ... I manged to obtain guides from UK Vodafone ..... its also something NZ of its small market are unable to provide here .....

RC