PDA

View Full Version : slow xtra

15-05-2002, 10:51 AM
has anyone else found xtra to be slower than usual for the past few months? Xtra seems to be in stop go mode. I get activity for about 30 seconds, then nothing for a couple of minutes. This has made even checking my mail a real chore. It took me five minutes to get to the stage where I could make this posting. I live in a rural area. But, before I get all this advice that it is my crappy phone lines it isn't! My sister has exactly the same problem in town with her connection to xtra. I run Win98 on a PIII 667 384 Meg RAM, 56k modem. She runs WinXP on a similar pc. Anyone else had this problem?

15-05-2002, 11:21 AM
It may just be in Hobiton. The problem I get in K'dala is getting a line at allin the evenings between about 6pm and 11 pm. If I get one it is usually good.

15-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi Mrs B,
I have noticed with Xtra lately, that it is sometimes difficult to GET an internet connection, or I loose my connection for no apparent reason.
My computer only seems to slow down if I am downloading music - runs fine at all other times. I am in Dunedin, and run a similar computer to yours
Regards, ALAN :-)

15-05-2002, 01:47 PM
It seems that the powers to be in xtra have decided that peer to peer programmes are BAD BAD BAD.. Why? i have no idea, given that alot of P2P is localised, particually audio galaxy, as an example, it seems pointless.
Apparantly we may have full speed only if it is coming from a big freindly (xtra approved?)server somewhere. I have no idea what they want to acheive by this, apart from customer dissatisfaction.
It smells a little like when IHUG decided to block other ISP's sites from thier clients view. Maybe i'm just being paranoid here.

15-05-2002, 02:00 PM
It seems that the powers to be in xtra have decided that peer to peer programmes are BAD BAD BAD.. Why? i have no idea, given that alot of P2P is localised, particually audio galaxy, as an example, it seems pointless.
Apparantly we may have full speed only if it is coming from a big freindly (xtra approved?)server somewhere. I have no idea what they want to acheive by this, apart from customer dissatisfaction.
It smells a little like when IHUG decided to block other ISP's sites from thier clients view. Maybe i'm just being paranoid here.

15-05-2002, 02:01 PM

15-05-2002, 03:46 PM
Hello Mrs Baggins,
Yes I agree with you, I've suspected for some time that xtra specifically dailup, has been slowing. I changed to Paradise, some time ago because of it. Mind you, folks I've spoken to about it, some say yes and some no, so its hard to get any accurate picture.

There was an article written in this forum a while ago, where apprently, a person had been told in general conversation with a technician, that xtra was slowing dailup so that jetstart etc, would looked on more favourably.

But, again who knows really, Maybe a change of isp even temporarily, might give you a better service.

cheers,
Bob

15-05-2002, 04:26 PM
My experience has been that the xtra server appears to ignore you at times, causing the effect you describe. Then the problem goes away for a while, no apparent reason (such as time of day etc. Has been like it for at least a year here, but on the whole its the exception more than the rule.

Have changed to Jetstart anyway, speed at worst is (just) better than dial up and at best 5 times better (4k per sec to 20k per sec range, commonly 8-10k)

15-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Mrs Baggins,

It looks as if it may be locations? I am in Invercargill,using a much slower computer than yours and haven't had any noticeable slowing down.

I use Peer to Peer music swapping a few hours every day and find it about the same irrespective of the time of day or night.

Ilog on and off from time to time so that I can make phone calls and connecting each time is a constant 20-24 secs

Cheers,K.;-)