PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Nortons Anti-Virus 2002

13-05-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm a PC Technician and are having problems reinstalling Nortons Anti-Virus 2002 on one pc running under Windows XP and on another running Windows 98. AS you would expect I have done quite a bit of research particularly on the Symantec web site and have tried the various solutions suggested. A lot of this advice on the Symantec site requires considerable Registry editing. For those familiar with NAV 2002, It usually stops part way through what I call part 2 of the installation ie when the Configuration Wizard is running. In each cases I have taken note of the particualr error, and applied what Symantec thought would fix the problem but I'm not getting any further
Help!!!

Cheers

Paul

13-05-2002, 01:22 PM
I am having exactly the same problem re-installing Nortons Anti-Virus2002 on my PC after upgrading to Windows Xp so would appreciate it if anyone is able to supply a remedy.

13-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem. Here is what worked for me.

Uninstall any norton antivirus 2002 programs or related files (this includes live update/ update agent etc which often remain on the hard drive after a full uninstall

I then used Norton WinDoctor to get rid of any remaining NAV2002 .dll's etc and then deleted all .tmp files and then rebooted. After that everything worked fine.

Hope this helps

Ashley

18-05-2002, 11:13 PM
have you at any stage prior to re-installation attempts, had a visit from the W32 klez virus?

After cleaning a HDD (with no anti-virus software previously installed) of all traces of quoted virus, NAV STILL refused to install, meaning I first unwittingly tried the install with the virus present.

my less than eloquent fix was to boot in safe mode, and run the Install from there - it worked!