PDA

View Full Version : computers for dummies

13-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Much as i enjoy reading PC World, I only understand about 1/3 of it! Can anyone recommend some good websites or books that start from the beginning and work upwards in normal English? I'm talking about the real basics here, eg what is a cookie,what are all the different ports for, etc? I love my laptop but hate not knowing what i'm doing!
Cheers, L

13-05-2002, 09:37 AM
try Internet Magazine...

13-05-2002, 10:30 AM
The best resource I found so far for the absolute basics in easy to understand words is the books 'for dummies' .
This covers the complete range from your version of windows to the internet and mors complex subjects like srvers and various programming languages. Check out your local library to loan them or buy them from most computer and book shops.
You can also try www.whaleriders.com/directions and the microsoft MSN site for various basic instructions. And keep reading here as you'll be amazed at what you actually pick up and start to understand.

13-05-2002, 10:46 AM
I assume you have an internet connection so you can do what I did. Go to a good search engine (e.g. Google) type in words like; newbies, computer guide, tutorials, beginners internet, learn computers, etc, and you get some introductory sites and they link to more and off you go. Learnthenet is one place to start.