PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW in XP

12-05-2002, 02:46 PM
I have had XP for quite a few months now, but have gotten one good CD written.

I have the latest firmware from the manufacturer (Acer). I have tried numerous burning programs including XP's own one (the only one which actually ever gave me a good disc - but only the once).

Booting to ME lets me burn using Easy CD creator 4 just fine!

Nero on XP comes up with a power calibration error on every burn leaving me with a stack of coasters a mile high.

Does anyone know of any fixes, or known issues with Acer CD-RW drives and XP?

G P

12-05-2002, 05:20 PM
If you haven't tried already you could set the writer to use PIO instead of UDMA. Worth a shot.

13-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Sorry Brent but I am not that conversive with the workings of my CD-RW. Please elaborate.

I presume PIO and UDMA are methods of packet writing, or perhaps the language the app uses to talk to the drive (see I told you I know nothing about it).

G P

13-05-2002, 10:56 PM
need a version change?? not familiar with nero but roxio needs a upgrade from win ME/win2k to winXP.

RC

14-05-2002, 03:38 PM
hi

with xp cd writing programs you need the latest versions.
also it is always best to have the cd writer on it's own ide channel if possible, which always depends on what hardware you have on your machine. as avised it always pays to leave your computer alone while writing and also pays to disable power saving features and screensavers as well. and if all that fails then buy a new writer with a 'anti buffer under run' feature.

hope thats of some help

14-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Thankyou for you advice brian, but if you read my post again, you will notice that I am using the latest version of drivers, and I will tell you now, I am also using the latest version of nero. I also have nothing else running while writing, and buffer underrun is never the problem.

I have changed my IDE to PIO only, and will give it a go tonite.

G P