PDA

View Full Version : Congratualations to PC World

12-05-2002, 11:39 AM
I was just wanting to congratulate PC World on having the decency to not put the iPaq as number one in the PDA comparison.

I know of other magazines that would've rated them first after such a large advertisement.

JM

12-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Good point, JM.

Well done for being observant and aware enough to notice.

I don't envy editors the constant effort involved in balancing objectivity with commercial survival. If the iPac had been far and away the best choice, then they would have had to say so, and would have risked looking a bit too advertiser-friendly.

I suppose the only long term answer is to be so consistently objective so as to retain the confidence of your readers - something that PC World has managed to do very well.

Still, none of us tells our boss (or teacher) that he dresses like Bozo the Clown and every word that comes out of his mouth is utter drivel - so we all learn how to balance honesty with reality and find a level of integrity we can live with.

12-05-2002, 04:48 PM
I am so glad I don't do that sort of thing any more.

Whoever came top would call it 'a brilliant landmark work, well reasoned, excellently researched and devoid of all bias'. Whoever came bottom would describe the similarity between the article and randomly arranged rat droppings, accompanied by a list of the 27 places our facts were wrong and a recommendation for a good lawyer.

those were the days.

robo.