PDA

View Full Version : Viewing a linux drive from Win XP

09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
I know its probably not possible, but I'll ask anyway just in case.

Is there anything available that will let me browse my Linux disk from Windows? I mean, I can browse my Win disk from Linux, why not the other way? :)

Mike.

09-05-2002, 01:56 PM
> why not the other way?

Because Linux acknowledges the existence of other O/S's whereas Microsoft...

09-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Yes, but not all Windows programs are made by microsoft, so surely there must be something?

09-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Have a look at this site

<http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm>

I haven't given it a go yet but if you try it out would like to know the outcome of it all.

09-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Be careful --- it is not a Good Idea to write to a partition which belongs to another OS. Ext2 is probably OK, but any of the journalling file systems might be damaged. Most Windows 'looking at' files involves editors which might (by default) write backup files in the same directory.

10-05-2002, 03:23 AM
Nobody has mentioned the obvious - SAMBA. Samba will let your windows machine explore to your hearts content. If you really want, you can share your entire filesystem (EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS ...) - not best for security reasons though - best to just share a directory or two.

Of course this is only possible if linux and windows are on seperate machines.
There is a proggie that will let you browse you linux partitions directly, but not sure how stable it is yet.

10-05-2002, 05:56 PM
We didn't mention SAMBA, because Mike isn't running Windows as a task under Linux, which would be needed for Windows, Linux, and SAMBA to be all running on his machine at the same time.