PDA

View Full Version : emailer by Amstrad of UK

08-05-2002, 10:47 PM
I get long text emails generated by an Amstrad 'emailer', a UK dedicated email writing machine, I think. How can I reformat these messages on MS Word? They come formatted about half normal width and wont budge for me. Anyone come upon these machines and can help? At the moment I have to do every line manually.

10-05-2002, 01:04 AM
Try this in Word:

Turn on the option to view all characters. You will probably see a 6 at the end of each line. This is a return character and is used by some text processors to mark the end of a line.

To get rid of these, it's easy. First you will want to mark the end of each normal paragraph with something like a big red XOX. Then do a search and replace. In the search part, press enter, or if you can't, then use character map (Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character map) to copy the above symbol into the search box. In the replace box, hit the spacebar once. Then run it - it should replace every Return character with a space. Then do it again except this time XOX goes in the search and the return character goes in the replace.

It may take a couple of goes to get it right, but once you get the knack, it becomes second nature. You may even be able to create a macro for it.