PDA

View Full Version : cannot start computer

08-05-2002, 05:02 PM
have just installed antivirus from grisoft.
Am running window 98 and the anti virus promgram installed successfully and was prompted to restart computer.
on restarting the computer, can see the memory test been completed then after that screen all i get is a blank screen (with a white - in the top left corner of the screen.)
cannot use f8 to start computer in safemode.
only screen i can get is the setup bios screen.

08-05-2002, 06:02 PM
Dude,
Sounds like a video card problem to me, can you have it checked?, or maybe try resetting BIOS to defaults.

08-05-2002, 06:36 PM
I reckon it is the AV program. Had it happen yesterday on a PC. Boot off a floppy, get the AV software disabled in autoexec.bat (I just put REM in front).
Worked fine. In my case, looked like the monitor was knackered, but it wasn't getting video updates enough to figure out what refresh rates to use. Was fine after.

robo.

08-05-2002, 08:18 PM
do you see the hardrives being detected. check bios setings but it almost sounds like dead harddrive.

if it was sofware related you should be able to get in to safe mode or at least see the hardrives being detected.

08-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Kool - so what happens when you boot off a Win 98 boot floppy?

What you describe is the error message by Award Bios when the primary hard drive is not bootable and/or does not have a master boot record.

09-05-2002, 07:33 AM
have put the windows 98 boot disk in drive A , the light on the drive is on but drive A is not reading the disk.
the green light does not blink just stays lit all the time once I start the computer.

13-05-2002, 01:54 PM
it was not the av program that i downloaded from the internet that was the problem with starting my computer, it was the hard drive that stopped working.