PDA

View Full Version : Problem at start up

07-05-2002, 05:06 PM
In the last month or so, every time I start up my PC, just after the ME window and the jingle, I get the contact to Xtra box appearing. I have to cancel this before the PC continues to load. How can I find out what is causing this command - it must be either coming from a program that loads early (like Norton 2002) or virus/bug.
Thanks in advance.

08-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi Tim,

This can be complex and time consuming but if you're comfortable with registry editing, etc, try this: Click Start, Run, type msconfig, Enter. Have a look at the Startup tab. Uncheck anything that looks suspicious to you (although this is hard to judge sometimes) and try rebooting your computer. Eventually you should pin down what startup program is trying to go online. I had something like this happen to me some time ago after visiting a Chinese web site. I couldn't believe it! Somehow they managed to insert a program into my startup group that tried to connect to the internet every time I rebooted. It wasn't a virus or anything really sinister, but it surprised me that they managed to do it. Also have a look in your StartUp folder in your Start Menu to see what's in there. Once you have identified the culprit try moving the file somewhere else temporarily. When you are sure that it is bogus remove it completely. Then you should change msconfig back to 'Normal Startup' and reboot. Then carefully edit the registry to remove any references to the program in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run... , etc.

Hope this helps,
Rod.