PDA

View Full Version : Odd NAV error messages! Is Bob in trouble?

06-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi Team

It would seem that hubris may have struck again, following some injudicious comments I passed recently about safe surfing and my virus free status!

On the weekend, while surfing in unfamiliar territory a NAV virus warning popped up on screen (foolishly I didn't write down the details but it was the js-exploit virus I think). Not quite trusting NAV to have destroyed it, I logged off and did an immediate scan of my C drive, then checked for updates (none) and scanned the whole computer (all files) but nothing showed up.

Today when I booted for the first time I got the warning message 'Unable to get virus definition dates' and when I clicked OK the next message said 'Unable to start the definition monitor'. OK removed this message and boot continued but then ZoneAlarm warned that it had detected a new network on 192.168.7.0. This is the IP address group used by my router etc but I didn't have 7.0 in use.

All this made me think! Have I picked up something other than js-exploit which I understand to be relatively harmless? NAV seems to be working OK but doesn't detect my Eicar test virus. Nor does it detect it on another computer on my network that is ostensibly ok. Previously Eicar was detected on every scan (which is why I had it there, to keep my AV program honest).

Any ideas?

Billy 8-{(

06-05-2002, 04:32 PM
try running 'Swat It' to see if any other nasty's are there.Update the signatures before running.

hope it helps

http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/trojan.htm

cheers

Mark

06-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks Mark

I've since fixed the error messages but still can't get the eicar test virus recognised.

The errors were caused by my deleting all file type exclusions prior to running the full scan and forgetting to put them back again afterwards Doh!!! I do this to make sure I cover every file on the computer with a manual scan in case some nasty Virii writer decides to hijack a NAV file type. Usually I restore them before the next boot but the surprise of having a virus appear kinda blocked the neuron paths for a while. Unfortunately it appears NAV doesn't like having its own files subjected to scrutiny!

I'll take a look at Swat It, sounds like a useful tool to have in the armoury if it doesn't have any nasty side-effects.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

06-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks Mark

I've since fixed the error messages but still can't get the eicar test virus recognised.

The errors were caused by my deleting all file type exclusions prior to running the full scan and forgetting to put them back again afterwards Doh!!! I do this to make sure I cover every file on the computer with a manual scan in case some nasty Virii writer decides to hijack a NAV file type. Usually I restore them before the next boot but the surprise of having a virus appear kinda blocked the neuron paths for a while. Unfortunately it appears NAV doesn't like having its own files subjected to scrutiny!

I'll take a look at Swat It, sounds like a useful tool to have in the armoury if it doesn't have any nasty side-effects.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)