PDA

View Full Version : Lost Internet Connection Sharing

05-05-2002, 11:33 PM
I've been using Internet Connection Sharing successfully on my home network of three PC's for some time until I used winipcfg on one of the client computers. Having clicked Release All I lost my connection to the host and it will not renew despite rebooting all round. It has affected the other client PC too so I suspect a problem with the host (which connects to the net just fine). The network is normal apart from this - file sharing works but I cannot ping from the clients to the host which is assigned 192.168.0.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

06-05-2002, 01:18 AM
Just reconfigure your network. I assume you use DHCP on your host?

If not then none of the clients would recieve a new IP and that would be a problem.

I setup all my computers with Static IPs. A longer process if you're managing over 10 PCs but it makes organising them easier.

Just give you clients static IPs between 192.168.0.2-254 subnet 255.255.255.0 and make the host 192.168.0.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0. If you don't want static then enable DHCP on the host to assign IPs automatically.

You'll need to renew the IPs on each card on the client or reinstall the network card.