PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Transparencies

05-05-2002, 09:44 PM
A recent accidental visit to a site with old photo's has made me revisit mine, all 40+ years old and getting the worse for wear. I want to scan them and put them on CD Rom but how, there's the rub.!
My scanner is still good but does not scan transparencies, commercial scanning is worth an arm and a leg and I need all mine at my age. So a new scanner with facilities for scanning transparencies is the answer but what and which.

Any recomendations would be appreciatted

regards

PP

05-05-2002, 11:15 PM
Percy - do the math.

Unless you have a lot of old photos you want to scan (ie hundreds), then getting them scanned commercially all at once will save you hours of time and frustration, and dollars as it would take a lot of photos before the cost of commercial scanning added up to that of a $xxx scanner.

Find out how many photos, and how much it would cost commercially, and if that adds up to a less than the cost of a new scanner, it is better to do it that way.

I fail to see the benefit of paying hundreds of dollars for a device you will use once to save yourself essentially nothing, and ending up with two scanners that you may rarely use again.

Your choice.

G P

06-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Percy,
I had exactly the same idea this time last year and purchased an HP Scanjet 5370c for just under $800. Since then, Canon and Epson have both bought out better units for about half that price - but that's the way of the PC world, isn't it? The HP is an excellent scanner - 2400 x 1200 dpi, but scanning transparencies isn't that easy. The scanner I have is a bit fiddly in that you have to plug in an overhead light unit that sits on top of the scanner bed. It'll scan four slides at once and does a great job. Also does negatives and the software automatically makes a positive image from them. Apparently the new, cheaper scanners use a reflector in the lid to shine down through the slide, so you don't have to muck around with the overhead light. Scanning requires that the slide is clean and dust free, so this takes a bit of time, and quality varies with age. If, like me, you want to preserve the pictures, no matter what condition they are in, then it's a pretty straight forward process, but if you want to clean up the images with something like Photoshop, then it can take a while to do. I've managed to process about 200 images so far. I store them on CD using a bit of free software called My Album (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/MyAlbum.html) which can play them back as an automated slide show, with commentary or music if you're keen.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ray A.

06-05-2002, 03:57 PM
I've seen the suggestion of using a white card reflector bent to form an inverted V over the transparency.

Experiment. It would probably pay to work in subdued light.

07-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Percy here is what you need to get your self to do the job you want.

http://www.hp-expo.com/ap/eng/products/scanjet/5470c.html

When you've done the job just throw it into the box again and bring it down to me next time your down :)