PDA

View Full Version : can ICQ txt message to telecom? (025)

05-05-2002, 04:51 PM
I've just discovered ICQ can send free SMS's (it could probably have done this since ICQ99b, shows you how much I use it). I am using 2002a.

I seem to be able to txt to vodaphone (021) quite happily but I get a 'can't connect' msg when trying 025 and 027. Anyone have any suggestions or know what the deal is?

Regards
Johnny B

05-05-2002, 05:58 PM
ICQ can only send text messages to sms capable providers, i.e. Vodafone

Telecom 025 and 027 networks do not truely support this (or so i am led to believe how Telecom opperate their Texting Network is they route all Texts through Vodafone (according to some agreement made between both companies) and vise versa, so while you can text from 021 to 025/7 you (again as i am led to beleive) are unable to text from overseas to 025/7 phones.

Hope this helps.

05-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Exactly right...I can send sms messages to Australian cellphones and they can reply to me via my ICQ but I cannot receive the message on my cellphone as they can. My cellphone being a Telecom 025. Come on Telecom, catch up.

05-05-2002, 06:57 PM
Johnny, was in icq a few days ago sussing the same thing - it is only vodafone - 021 - but they say they are updating all the time - there is a drop down menu with countries and then you can see which providers in which country are available to text currently. Hope this helps

08-05-2002, 09:27 PM
The problem is not with ICQ, it is with telecon. They don't want to play the sms game, so they played it closed, untill they realised that it was bad form, and now only play it nationally. sms reakes of good service, and we can't have that!

There has never been a way to text a telecon fone outside of this country or through a free service, atleast not to my knowledge. This is not for technical reasons, but beause 025/027 are owned by telecom. Nuff said really.