PDA

View Full Version : Slow hard drive

05-05-2002, 04:26 PM
I have just been into the device manager. Under disk drivers the 'generic IDE disk type' driver is missing.
I followed your advice on page 44 April edition and checked the DMA option. Has this caused this problem.
I have a Samsung SV2001H drive
20 gig operating under win'98
Under the performance tab it says Drive C is operating under MS-Dos compatibility mode file system, uder details is the following.
Help as the computer takes a long time to boot. I have my antivirus and zone alarm programs only booting at start up.
Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version.de file system.

05-05-2002, 06:39 PM
You can get this type of problem if an incorrect IDE controller driver gets installed. If you have a CD that came with your motherboard, try re-installing the IDE driver - if there is one. Otherwise, try to install the basic 'ST506' IDE driver, and windows should find 'new hardware' and install a suitable driver on re-boot.

05-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Where do I find the file ST506 IDE?
I've tried Win'98 disk and the C drive itself.
Is there an internet site I could access?
No disk came with the motherboard.
Help?