PDA

View Full Version : downgrading to 98

04-05-2002, 04:03 PM
I have windows me.and have conflicts with my scanner & cd writer,all equipment is 98 compatible,have downloaded update drivers and still have problems,is there any way I can install windows 98 instead of me.I need step by step instructions as I'm computer illiterate,am hoping this will fix my problems,all my computer equipment is H.P.so should all be compatible,is thier anybody who can help please,or can anyone suggest a fix for M.E.
heres hoping Fred

04-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Going to Win 98 is a big job. Is there any way you can sort the conflict?

You probably don't use the scanner all the time, so that would help. Are they both USB?

Also, were they supplied as a bundle? If yes, then is there any scope for some help under warranty? Has it always been a problem since it was purchased?

robo.

05-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi Robo ,
And thanks for the reply,yes both are usb.and the warranty ran out some time ago,never had conflicts witj 98,my first computer was a faulty one so eventually hp. took it back after 2 yrs of trouble and issued me with this one ,have had problems ever since ,it seems as though i'm plagued with problems ,it puts you off having a computer,I thought this would be good for me in retirement ,but will keep looking for an answer. Fred

06-05-2002, 08:10 AM
Hi Fred.

You could try this.

Go into safe mode. Then Start/Settings/Control Panel/System.

Delete the reference to the scanner and then reboot.

By rights the system will recognise that there is a new device and you can then reload the driver.

Bryan.

06-05-2002, 09:27 AM
If all else fails you could save your data, which might be difficult if CDWriter isnt working well, and then use your HP restore CD. Not sure but you might need to do a full restore including reformatting hard drive though I'd try the easier restore operating system and applications choice first. Then, of course, you have to go to MS windows update and get all the patches for win98 and probably update your Browser; plus reload any software you use. It's a big job but often results in a sleek faster system. Don't try to use your restore disks if you have made any changes to the computers bios though.
I haven't ever gone back to an earlier operating system but when computer gets clogged and isnt running well, despite defrags etc. I do a restore and it takes, maybe, one to two weeks before I get all updates of Win 98se and browsere and software and data reloaded but it seems to result in a cleaner faster system.
If you dont have Restore CD's you can buy them from HP. Might be worth phoning them for support anyway but beware they will probably charge you around $40 so make sure you get all the info you need from them.*S*