PDA

View Full Version : Message saying email was undeliverable but had not sent one to that address - virus?

04-05-2002, 10:53 AM
I got three emails the other day that I didn't open because I didn't know the sender - Lies!; m_jochem and something like neatherton. I looked at the properties and found they had originated from someone in my address book. All had attachments so I didn't open them and I sent an email to the person they had originated from, telling them I thought they could have a virus that was sending stuff out to people in their address book. I got an email from them today with the subject line 'virus alert, do not open, system being cleaned' or something similar. Also in my inbox was a postmaster message saying an email was undeliverable - to an address called mousecon (?) and it also had the m_jochem in its subject line. I certainly didn't open that email or reply to it. I have Outlook set in preview mode and that particular email had 'this is my new game, hope you like it' etc. - even though I didn't open it and subsequently deleted all three suspect emails, would that be enough for it to get in? And why did Norton not alert me? Advice please, this is the first time I've had this kind of thing happen.

04-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Sounds like you have the Klez 32 virus.

Got to Symantec's site & download the cleaner.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.gen@mm.html

04-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks, tried that but it said no Klez viruses were detected. I've discovered a new problem though - I recently purchased and installed Norton Internet Security 2002. On the screen that comes up when you click on it, it has Internet status; personal firewall; privacy control and ad blocking but in the manual it also shows parental control and Norton anti virus. I ran a security check and it said everything except the anti virus was up to date and protected, so how the hell do I get the anti virus up and running? My current status says I was last attacked at 12.29pm today and I've had 3234 recent intrusion attempts! I have looked in the manual but can't seem to find anything that tells me how to get this protected. HELP!