PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Windows ME please

03-05-2002, 09:05 PM
The following is a message I received from my daughter who is using a relatively new computer which came with Windows ME installed. So far she has had no problems until this small gliche happened. Does anyone have any suggestions. I`m using Windows 98SE and have tried a few suggestions but but they don`t appear to relate to ME

'Don't know how it all happened. It (the toolbar) was fine the night before, the next day when I switched the computer on it had disappeared even though the toolbar was still there, the icons weren't. Today when I switched the computer on every thing in the start was all capitals for some reason, so I'm not having much luck with getting them in lower case and the toolbar icons back in place. I've tried everything and anything with no success.'
No doubt it is simple to fix and any help would be gratefully received. On behalf of my daughter, thanks. Iris

03-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Iris,

Request for more info.

By the toolbar does she mean the taskbar witht the start button on it?

By missing icons does she mean on the taskbar (ie start-up icons or quicklaunch icons) or desktop icons?

Has she completed a virus scan with current virus definitions?

Please reply.

G P

04-05-2002, 12:31 AM
If all else fails use system Restore

04-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks for replies.
It`s the bar across the bottom of the screen with Start. Seems the 'Launch IE' 'Outlook Express' 'PCillin' and whatever other icons she had there have disappeared. When you click on 'Start' the popup menu appears to be in Capitals. Says when she right clicks tool/task bar she can`t get 'quick launch' gets message saying 'can`t create quick launch' All icons she had on Screen are still there, just seems to be tool/task bar. She has checked for virus, all clear.
Hope this is enough info.
Iris

04-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately this is likely to be caused by a corrupted file or registry entry. Proceed with the virus scan, and if that comes up clean, perform a system restore to before theproblem happened, and virus scan again.

If that doesn't work, she may be in for a reinstall, but it shouldn't come to that.

G P