PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro and HP Scanner

03-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Have HP 4200c Scanner and new install of XP Pro.
When I first switched on the scanner without installing any HP software the Plug and play picked it up and worked fine. Of course this was in a limited way, so installed the latest software and drivers and now it just locks up the puter solid. HP techs have been very helpful, but cannot solve the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?
Have 1024 of ram so that is not the problem.

Here's hoping..Ron.

03-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Have a 'scan' through the HP forums..

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/FamilyHome/0,,412,00.html

03-05-2002, 08:36 PM
A couple of years ago I tried to install an HP scanner (not sure what model) but because I had plugged the thing in before installing the software the computer spat the dummy in a major way.

It caused a whole lot of problems that were never fixed until a reformat unfortunately.

Don't know if this information is of any help to you at all but the installation guide (which I wasn't given) did specify the order of installation. If you have followed your scanner's instructions it obviously won't apply to you.

03-05-2002, 08:52 PM
As for the XP drivers you should have kept those and just installed the software. If that works then it should have been fine.

Unless those drivers have been signed by MS then there's no guarantee that they will work for you (even some signed ones will not work for you).

04-05-2002, 12:42 PM
I too have an HP 4200c scanner. When I first installed XP it couldn't even find a scanner! I solved the problem by downloading an installing thr HP driversfor win 2000. This allowed the scanner to be recognised bur it lacked several functions. HP have issued drivers for xp and it runs perfectly now.
NOTE: You have to remove the win98 (or whatever) drivers you have loaded. Then instali the win 2000 drivers and then install the XP drivers. The xp drivers are not a stand alone installation, but an upgrade from 2000.
Hope this helps.
Jack.

05-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Many thanks to Susan, Wuppo,Kame and Jack for taking the trouble to try and help me with the problem.
We haven't fixed it yet but are working on it.
As a point of interest HP have sent me the latest CD Rom and assured me that it is setup for XP, including the drivers. Also followed the instuction sheet about removing the old installation and installing the latest.
The HP forum that Wuppo sent the url for, indicates that there are a lot of problems with XP and HP scanners..
Thanks again..Regards Ron.