PDA

View Full Version : floppys

02-05-2002, 10:03 PM
I have just purchased a new computer, and now whenever I try to rename a file on a floppy, I get a message saying that by changing the file name this file wont be available. Have however tried it on one file, and now the file has gone, these are jpgs that I want to rename, by clicking on the one that I have changed the window that asks me what program I want to open the file comes up. Tried clicking on my photo viewer for this file that I changed, and it says it cant find it. What has changed since having the new computer
TIA

02-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Hi Karen,

I'm not too sure why thats happening. I can't recall ever changing the file name once its on the floppy. But a workaround that might work: Change the file name before copying to floppy, or, if already on the floppy, copy to harddrive, change name, then paste back to floppy.

Cheers.

03-05-2002, 01:29 AM
Hi Karen

Sounds like you are changing not just the name, but the 'extension' Thats the bit of the name after the '.'

Most probably the files are 'filename.jpg' and you are renaming them to 'newfilename' without the '.jpg' for example.

To make it worse your computer probably is hiding the extension from you, so you dont even know its there, but programs must have it so they can 'associate' it.

The warning is normal, as you are disassociating the file from its program. The files will still be there, but your program, if looking for graphics files will only display files with extensions it associates with file types it can read (such as .jpg, .bmp, .gif etc)

If you look at the open file dialogue box, it will likely tell you what file it expects to see in 'files of type'.

If you let us know what the program is, it would help.

Cheers

Trevor