PDA

View Full Version : Stopping programmes running on start-up

02-05-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm using Windows ME and want to stop software installed with new peripherals (like Microtek Scanner Detect & Adaptec Create CD) from automatically running during start-up. I still want to be able to access these via 'start-programmes' and short-cuts. Can anyone help?

02-05-2002, 05:59 PM
hi just go start, programs to the startup folder and delete what u want not to load up

jon.

02-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi Mike,
First you click start/Run and type msconfig. You then should see system configuration utility.Click startup and uncheck the program you want to not start on start up. If you want more info about what you are doing check this web site out

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
cheers John

02-05-2002, 08:12 PM
There are three ways to do it:

1. Remove items out of the Starup folder in your Start|Programs|Startup menu. Either move the items to another folder in your Programs folder or create one to shift them to.

2. Go to the program's Tools or Options (or similar) and change the settings in there to prevent it running at startup. You can often also do this from the options accessed by clicking on the program's icon in the Taskbar.

3. Failing 1 & 2 you can follow the advice from John D regarding msconfig. This should be the last resort.

03-05-2002, 11:22 AM
I use a free program called More Properties which is available from www.download.com. You can view all those annoying programmes running in the background or on startup that you can't normally get access to. Just select them and delete them.