PDA

View Full Version : program password?

01-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Is there a way to password a specfic program? eg MSN and Hotmail so that my kids can do homework research but not access chatsites?

01-05-2002, 04:59 PM
You are not able to access chat sites without logging on and using a password to do so.

If you want your children out of the chat sites you will have to find out their usernames and passwords and change the passwords to something not known by them.

But, that will not prevent them creating another user name and password and getting back in again if they are determined enough!

I have my PC in the dining/family room so I am able to supervise my children. They know they'll get kicked off if they try it so they aren't tempted to go where they shouldn't be.

I have also told them that I can easily find out where they've been if I want to and that also deters them.

So far they haven't tried outsmarting me and calling my bluff! LOL

01-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi Vicki,

If you are serious about this then you should consider a filtering program like net nanny (there are lots of other programs to choose from), this would allow you to specify certain sites that can not be accessed.

Internet explorer has a content advisor which MAY be able to be configured to control access but I have not had much experience with this and do not know if it is possible without stopping access to lots of legitimate sites.