PDA

View Full Version : RAM causing massive amounts of system lock-ups

01-05-2002, 02:42 PM
I've been having huge amounts of system lock-ups when playing games such as unreal tournament and castle wolfenstien, and also with apps such as adobe photoshop.
I've recently used the system diagnosis stuff in norton utils 2001, and get this error in the memory test...

Testing 20 patterns on 268435456 bytes of memory
Testing memory using pattern with all bits cleared...
Error detected at address 242241536
Test: Failed

Does this mean that my RAM is faulty, and is this the source of my lock-ups? When run in safe mode the tests are passed with no problems, but running windows me normally the test have never been passes, and I've run it probably 20 times.... Somtimes the number at the end of that message is a little bit different. My system is brand new, and I want to get all this stuff sorted out before the warantee expires...
Can anyone give me any suggestions??
Cheers, Tim

01-05-2002, 03:34 PM
U could of isolated the problem to the memory. If u have more than one stick of memory .. pull one out. Restart PC .. see if u get any more errors .. if more switch the RAM .. and restart and so on .... until u can get the culprit.

I also suggest u do the complete test. not just memory. if on warranty .. get it replaced. if not u may need to buy another one.

RC

01-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Why did u put so many identical postings and takes up the valuable spaces?
Btw, yes RC is rite.
If its still under warranty u should claim a replacement or something cos its most likely ur RAM is faulty.

01-05-2002, 04:21 PM
If it is locking up, and the system is new, DON'T pull the memory sticks. DON'T open the case. Get onto the seller, and tell them about it.

Tell them that you want them to make it better. That's what the warranty is for. When it has expired, it is worth taking (careful) steps yourself.

They can probably refuse your warranty cover if you have opened the case. They would probably be justified if you actally remove memory sticks.

01-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Judging by your post you are running 256meg of ram....

Is that in 1 or 2 blocks:
eg: 1 x 256 or 2 x 128

I have found in the past that nortons is unreliable when testing 2 blocks.....

in my computer it showed my Ram as faulty with 2 blocks in but fine when testing 1 block at a time..........

01-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Win ME is ur problem...throw it as far as you can. it was the worst os designed by microsoft and is infamous for memory leaks. after you've done that, try getting a copy of 2k or xp and installing then run the tests again...my bet is the results will improve dramatically :)

01-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Firstly must apologise to the annoyed person... that was entirely my fault, won't do it again...
The ram is 1 256MB stick...
I just used MSCONFIG to limit the RAM to 128, and played some games, no probs... also, running in safe mode the RAM passes the norton tests no probs...
Opening the case is not a prob for my warrantee... the pc is a custom one and the guy I got it off even let me install the CD writer myself, as he had some of the parts send to me direct from factory. The parts are still covered...
Does the fact that it tests fine in safe mode support the get away from winME view of things??
Does anyone know of a memory test program to use under linux? I have to get around to installing mandrake sometime so maybe I can test things under that...?
Cheers everyone for help!

01-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Do not take too much notice of the memory test in Nortons 2001. There is a problem with it not being reliable on more than 128MB. I had the same problem with it. The test is not included in Systemworks 2002. You will find an article on Symantec's site.

02-05-2002, 01:30 PM
try cacheman or memturbo to manage the memory use 98 sec edtion for gaming 2000 for stability and stay away from XP.
if you are a AMD user load the latest via 4 in 1 drivers etc.
could be your graphics card as well try 2x AGP in your bios or another card my gforce 256 was brilliant have since moved to a gforce 3