PDA

View Full Version : Help

30-04-2002, 04:09 PM
When i try to disconnect from the internet it wont let me the red cross come on the computer icon on my toolbar but wont disconnect so have to restart my computer everytime. Also i have callwaiting have been told when your on the internet and you get a incoming call it will kick you off the internet why wont it work for me. hope you can help.
Thanks Karyn

30-04-2002, 11:22 PM
The red cross on your tool bar is to stop Internet Explorer loading a web site, it does not disconnect your internet connection.
To disconnect your modem double click on the two little computers in the bottom right corner by your time and select disconnect from there.

If call waiting is not disconnecting your modem when the phone rings you may have *52 in front of your dialup number.This will prevent your modem disconnecting as the caller will get an engaged tone. If you do not have *52 entered it could be your modem may take some time to disconnect when it senses an incoming call or it may not disconnect at all as some modems are not sensitive enough to react to the call waiting tone.

30-04-2002, 11:27 PM
That slight noise made by call waiting is similar to the disconnect for modems. Similar... it's not exact some modems that are very sensitive pick it up and drop the connection. In a way this is good but not if you're downloading a 100MB update from MS and have no way of saving it from a disconnection.

If your modem doesn't disconnect from it then it's probably been made to handle quite a bit of noise. Don't worry later on this year I hope when all modems are upgraded to V92 and ISPs start running V92 you won't miss any of your phone calls thanks to this standard.