License agreement from Microsoft
when highlighted it asks if you want to open it or save it to disk

This then brings up MCAFEE
Virus Warning
The file FOR.PIF is infected with the W32/Klez.gen@MM virus
File Path C:/WINDOWS/TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

When I go into properties in
the email I get the following
GrahamP@wosl.co.nz (I do not know this person)

In message source - return path <auction@ihug.co.nz

I am running Outlook Express

Hope you can assist

Cheers
Cherie

30-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Delete the .pif file, Cherie. It is the Klez virus which is doing the rounds at the moment. DO NOT OPEN IT.

30-04-2002, 05:04 PM
At least you did not click the attachment. Thats a good start.

If I am not mistaken in regards to klez, it forges the senders address from a address found in the infected address book. That is why you probably don't know the sender.

It is very likely though that the true ISP from which the virus was sent could be ihug so if you were to send them a nice but firm complaint complete with a copy/paste of the message source details and a copy of the Virus Log details, if it turns out that the sender is one of ther clients I am sure they will get onto it reasonably quick.

30-04-2002, 05:04 PM
Delete the .pif file, Cherie. It is the Klez virus which is doing the rounds at the moment. DO NOT OPEN IT.

30-04-2002, 05:15 PM
See this Security Response article from Symantec:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/
venc/data/w32.klez.gen@mm.html

30-04-2002, 05:21 PM
i would have to say a well done for having an upto date virus scanner and asking when you are not sure of something.

its really nice to see.

<big smile>

30-04-2002, 07:52 PM
I swear it is not me :-)

GrahamP

30-04-2002, 08:10 PM
It makes you feel good that your anti-virus prog is working, doesn't it? ;-)

When you delete the email, be on the safe side and empty your Deleted folder straight afterwards as well.

30-04-2002, 09:27 PM
It's a shame to see so many new viruses popping up each and every week. But then it is good to see people using their heads and installing decent virus-scanning software, I wouldn't do without my beast Nortons Anti Virus