PDA

View Full Version : Why wont my games install on WinXP?

30-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Hi I just bought a new computer and everything is gonig fine. Love Win Xp apart from the fact that I cannot get some of my games that where on my old machine (Win98) to install. The one in particular is the Sims (which just quietly is why I bought the comp.) The installation starts off fine then at about 30-40% the cd drive revs up something wicked and an error message stating that InstallShield has failed and thats that. I have tried all troubleshooters and the EA tech support site but nothing works. This has happened with 3 other games also (Baldurs Gate 2, C & C and others) The game site says there is no issues with WinXP. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've had it three days already and it won't work.

30-04-2002, 06:14 AM
Hello,

Its probably because your game is incompatable with xp, some of the older games are. try the imcompatable wizard on your program list.

cheers,
Bob

30-04-2002, 12:28 PM
for gaming use 98 sec edition much leaner and far better XP ,2000 for office applications and stability ,
in 2 years or so XP bugs will be ironed out drivers available and you will be paying for a annual service from microsoft activation user pays is the key word

30-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Some of those older games won't work because they need DOS in order to run them. You can sometimes can still install them, but they won't play. If you check the properties of the shortcut link you have for the game, you can change the compatability to win95, 98 or nt. This sometimes works.

With the Sim game, it sounds like the CD itself is either grubby or its scrached. With some of my CDs, the CD Drive will rev up and then slow down again and again until windows displays a error message or i eject it. check the surface of the cd, if it needs it, clean it.

01-05-2002, 12:20 AM
You must be logged in as system admin to install many games in windows xp. And some games only run properly when your logged in as system admin.