PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Memory Usage

29-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Help,
I currently have 512MB Ram installed on p900 machine the problem is even with only a few applications running ie:internet explorer on desktop and norton AV,Zone Alarm,Internet PCI card icons on the system tray.
Windows seems to be gobbling up memory according to system monitor 539MB ? How is this possible and where is it being used.
Thanks in Advance
Bob

29-04-2002, 09:16 PM
what windows do you have?

you need to see what programs you have got running in the background.

29-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Bob, An overly simplified explanation is that Windows utilises ram, that is not required by applications, for caching purposes (vcache).

This cache is reduced when an application requires memory. Often you can observe free memory increasing after loading then closing an application: cache has been freed for the application to load then when the application is closed, the ram becomes free.

29-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Hi tweake'e
Win 98 second edition

As for programs in background if i do a ctrl alt delete
i get a whole list of things such as:
Explorer
Navapw32
Zone Alarm
Skymedia 200d (internet card)
Point32 (mouse)
Stimon,Eusexe,Sbmx,Systray,
Promon,Rnaapp,Qttask
I have absolutly no idea what most of these are !

Bob

29-04-2002, 11:00 PM
I use memturbo dont have excessive mem drain caheman is free and good as well

30-04-2002, 07:42 AM
Thamks Tweak'e,Gordon n and wuppo.

Will have a play with those apps.

Rgds
Bob

30-04-2002, 12:43 PM
For decpihering all the stuff you have sitting in your system tray etc I suggest you go to www.pacs-portal.co.uk this is a very handy little web page that explains all about start up programs etc and also has a full downloadable directory of what all the stuff is. It also has a few links to various startup programs to help control what does and doesnt start with your machine till you can locate all the off switches in the dastardly programs.