PDA

View Full Version : stuffed notebook computer :) [continued]

29-04-2002, 04:37 PM
hello! i have an old computer that i think the hdd is totally dead. whenever i format the drive and install windows, it is only days, or even hours before it 'forgets'. any suggestions

rc- how does that disk scan thingee work? does it work in dos (running off a floppy) or do i have to install windows?

ty for any suggestions :)

29-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Do I remember correctly, was it a Toshiba?

It could be stuffed memory, so take out the upgrade card from the back if it's got one.
It could also be a screwy IDE controller, in which case the computer is probably knackered.

All this is assuming that the disk is OK when freshly formatted. If it's got bad sectors to begin with then a new HDD may be the only solution.

29-04-2002, 07:30 PM
ahoy! there u are.

The first one (PC Dr). When u install, if i remember u double click it. It would extract onto 1 or 2 diskettes and make them bootable. Restart computer and boot - of it does not work with non-IBM's search for PC Doctor and download a demo .... instructions how to use this version I am not sure. You may need to refer to help or playing around.

2nd - the IBM Fitness HDD test. When inside click advance .. and then follow through ...

Both of these scenarios .. the instructions procvided by IBM is self-explanatory. It *just* may be able to reduce ur HDD size and do a repair.

RC

29-04-2002, 07:41 PM
if u can get as far as formatting ur HDD. Then dont remove it, just run the 1st s/w - PC Dr. It will scan for RAM errors too!

More about the 2nd test ... u would need to run the file downloaded and it will install onto the C: (of the workinf PC). And it will extract itself onto one disktte and restart PC with the diskette as a bootdisk. Do this 2nd I suggest.

The 1st test .. i suggest u do the entire test .......

RC

29-04-2002, 08:30 PM
thankyou! i will do that now. man, i hope this is fixable!! :)