PDA

View Full Version : Big fat Delphi books - which is best?

29-04-2002, 11:21 AM
There are two ginormous Delphi 6 books in Dymocks - Mastering Delphi 6, and another one that looks like an official Borland product. Both are priced over $150. Can anyone recommend either of these, or alternatives? I am an experienced programmer but not with Delphi; I'm using the free Personal edition but 'Mastering Delphi 6' seems to recommend at least the Pro edition which I can't afford.

29-04-2002, 11:35 AM
So many books, so little money... :0) I would recommend Delphi Unleashed by Charlie Calvert although I'm not sure if its still in print. Charlie worked (works?) for Borland so knows his stuff (does a C++ Builder one too). Mastering Delphi is a good one (I have the Deplhi 4 version). I'm sure some of the independent Delphi sites have book reviews etc.

29-04-2002, 11:43 AM
So many books, so little money... :0) I would recommend Delphi Unleashed by Charlie Calvert although I'm not sure if its still in print. Charlie worked (works?) for Borland so knows his stuff (does a C++ Builder one too). Mastering Delphi is a good one (I have the Deplhi 4 version). I'm sure some of the independent Delphi sites have book reviews etc.

30-04-2002, 05:18 PM
Why not check your public library? They might have these books (or others), and it's always a good idea to have a *good* look at a $150 book before buying it.

I've found that most of the '... for dummies' books are good value, and I see that there is one for Delphi by Neil Rubenking, who is a guy who's been around for a while. Big books aren't always better (look at most of the huge ones for Windows).