PDA

View Full Version : Moving software to new computer

29-04-2002, 11:58 AM
I have two laptop computers and I am selling one of them. I need to move some of my programs from one computer to the other and don't know how to go about it. I have a zip drive.

29-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Moving files isn't difficult - copy them to the Zip drive on one machine, move the Zip drive to the other, and copy the files. But programs are not easy to move because they need to be installed rather than just copied. You will need the original software disks or files to be able to install the software on the other machine. Do you need help with finding the original software that might have been downloaded onto the machine you are selling?

29-04-2002, 12:14 PM
Kathy,
Most 'substantial' programs (not just small utilities etc) install files in amongst others in windows directories, as well as their own. They also tend to install entrys in the 'registry'. All of which makes it near impossible to simply 'lift' the program from one computer to another. You are better off, re-installing the program on the new computer, using the origional cd / disks.

29-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Have you considered the Direct Cable connection facility which is part of Win95 & 98. (I'm not familiar with the newer windows o/s) You may need to purchase or borrow a cable from your friendly computer store. It's by far the quickest and easiest method I've struck to xfer files between notebooks.

29-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Swap the hard drives ;0)