PDA

View Full Version : Using PC as network gateway, can Bob do it?

27-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Team

I'm running internet access for my kids computers on our home network via a hub to a Nokia Ni500 router. It all works fine but I though I'd save myself the trouble of installing firewalls on the other two computers by routing access through my computer, which is pretty much always on.

I tried just changing the gateway on one from the Nokia's 192.168.7.1 to the IP address on my computer to see if that would work but it didn't seem to allow access. Dream on!

I suppose I need server or proxy server features but I'd welcome some advice as to how far I have to go to set this up. It's not just the firewall either, I'd like the ability to control access by closing the connection, especially when my Jetstream download limit of 500MB is getting close and the end of the month is miles away!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

27-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Yes we can!

(if it was a building project)

suggest you try Prop the propellar head

sorry i had to do that

27-04-2002, 06:57 PM
It seems like you are trying to create an ICS. I suppose all computers have direct access to the modem via the hub.

If you install ICS software you can then get all the computers to go through your computer to get to the modem and monitoring the usage as well. I use WinProxy. It's not free but it does have an evaluation after which you'll have to pay for it if you want it.

You can get it from www.winproxy.com. Also has a lot of nice features built in.

27-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Hi Kame

I'm not averse to paying if the software is good and I reckon your recommendation has got to be worth something too. I'll take a look at it anyway.

Is it reasonably easy for a networking novice to use or will I end up like Prop the propeller head, unable to distinguish between a building project and a PC?

I assume it will be compatible with ZA Pro and only needs to be installed on one PC or is that too much to ask?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

27-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Billy,
Have used Analogx Proxy before - very easy to set up.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

I haven't tried your gateway configuration, but have read that it may be necessary to have to NICs in your gateway computer - one for the hub and one for the modem - don't know why! Let us know how it goes.

27-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi Billy,

Another Proxy Server is Proxy Plus.

This has details of bytes downloaded, can be set up for email pop3 and socks for IM's, and is free for up to two users. It is only installed on the server PC.

I have used it for a while now with no problems.

Take a look at it and others here:

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/network/fwproxy.shtml

J.

28-04-2002, 11:20 AM
I use a Linux box as a dialup gateway to the internet for a number of Windows PC's and it works well (once you get it setup :-\ ). This maybe little help to you but maybe is an option.