PDA

View Full Version : Defragmenting & Scan Disk

26-04-2002, 03:44 PM
I tried to defrag. my local c disk. Half way it stopped with message. Cannot continue defrag disk as windows is running a programe. I restartd in safe mode and the defrag was sucessful.
I then tried to scan my disk got the same message as above. I tried in safe mode but the problem was still there and would not finish scan.

26-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Hello Ivan,
This problem has come up many times in this forum and most people say run scandisk and defrag in safe mode which you obviously tried. I have never done scandisk/defrag in safe mode and I would normally do this once a month.

I prefer to close all the programs that are running in the background one by one.

To do this I run computer as normal, disable screensaver, and from desktop I ctrl+alt+delete. From the 'close program' window I go through each one and 'end task' 1 at a time. Occassionally I am asked that program has not responded blah blah blah and I just 'end task' on that as well. The only two programs that you CANNOT close is 'Explorer' and 'Systray'.

Once done then run scandisk (thorough.)Depending on size of computer can take a while (ie several hours, I have 40gb which can take me bout 4 hours have heard others take longer)
I then defrag after that.

Hopes this helps

Sam m

26-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Try this Ivan,
Delete Temp.Internet files - closedown all working programs on task bar - right click real player icon [if you have one] found at right end of task bar and close start centre - scan and defragment should fly thru about 20 to 30min. Occasionally move mouse to restrain screensaver activity.
Best of luck,
George W

27-04-2002, 08:34 AM
Thank you Sam m. I done what you said and the disk scan was sucessful. 20gb disk took about3 hours.

Ivan