PDA

View Full Version : fresh os install

26-04-2002, 11:39 AM
hi all i am thinking of upgrading my os to me
i am going to do a clean install
is there any thing i should watch out for or any tips you could give me to help me do it right

26-04-2002, 12:42 PM
If you are isnatelling ME then do it onto a clean hard drive....reformatted in other words. Me prefers to run from a clean install instead of over the top of an exisiting OS. Format and then petition your HD (if its big enough to warrant it) and install away. You'll probably find that it will install into 'safe' mode at first but this will correct itself once you install the rpoper drivers for your graphics card. Another very handy little tool that comes with ME is the backup tool. You have to browse the cd and you'll find it tucked away in a folder. Install this too and it can save many hours of agony.....

26-04-2002, 03:42 PM
If you have 98 sec edition stay with it its far better than ME which sucks in comparison slower and more buggy as well as crippled .

26-04-2002, 09:55 PM
look at ww.startdisk.com (i hope the addy is right) for UDB or at www.majorgeeks.com.

makes installs a lot easier and it has heaps of tools.

27-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Don't go ME!! it really sucks.. I'm with Gordon on that.. if possible go to 2000 Pro Ed else sick with 98se.

Work out how many partitions you need ie for a 30Gb HD you might have a 5Gb partition for the OS, 10Gb for data, 5Gb for general appz and 10Gb for games. Once you've done that format the partitions and your ready to go!!

p.s don't forget to
1)export your favourites from IE (assuming your using IE).

2)export your e-mail adressess from outlook (this will save you typing them in again).

This is all after you have saved all your 'data' of course.