PDA

View Full Version : Importing impasse in Outlook Express 5.01

26-04-2002, 01:53 AM
I copied my messages before reformatting my hard disk to a backup since Export does not allow you to only export to Outlook or Microsoft Exchange.
I have just read Sep 2000 issue 'Bypass Outlook Express' Import Impasse' and tried all the tricks set out there to no avail.
I have moved the files to another hard disk, a zip disk, used Mail folders etc etc but no way can I get my messages back so that Outlook Express can read them. I have important info stored there and am tearing my hair out.
Should I have taken the Export to Outlook option to be able to Import them?

26-04-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'copied my messages' and 'moved the files'. What files did you copy and move?

If they were .dbx files I was able to move mine to another hard drive then move them back again after reformatting.

When they were returned I put them in the same place as the newly created .dbx files and was told that the Inbox.dbx already existed, did I want to overwrite it, and I chose yes.

If you can't open your messages then either you moved the wrong files or they haven't been put back in the right place.

Otherwise it's something else that I don't know how to fix.

26-04-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'copied my messages' and 'moved the files'. What files did you copy and move?

If they were .dbx files I was able to move mine to another hard drive then move them back again after reformatting.

When they were returned I put them in the same place as the newly created .dbx files and was told that the Inbox.dbx already existed, did I want to overwrite it, and I chose yes.

If you can't open your messages then either you moved the wrong files or they haven't been put back in the right place.

Otherwise it's something else that I don't know how to fix.

PS Posting this message #2. Press F1 suffering serious Klingon infiltration.

28-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Thanks Susan for your reply - I meant exactly what the terms copy and move mean. I have also contacted Protonic and a reply from there told me to go to a site in PC World. There are 2 utils there - MBXTract and DBXTract which retrieves the messages and saves them in a form which you can read with a double click.
Gather that once I have found the messages that I want then Peter will tell me how to get them back to read in OE. Will let you know later when I have done this if you like.