PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express As default email client

25-04-2002, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to make Outlook Express 6 my default email client. Under options you can click a button that makes it the default, but on going back into the options, its always NOT the default, no matter how many times I click the button, then click apply, then click OK.
The object of all this is to be able to open the default email client from the menu in Explorer 6, but with no default email client chosen it doesn't work.

25-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Tracy,

You might also need to set OE6 as the default mail reader in Internet Explorer. Do this by going to the Tools menu, selecting Internet Options, clicking on Programs at the top of the new window, and setting your default email handler here. Then press OK, and hopefully it'll work.

HTH

Mike.

25-04-2002, 10:17 PM
Hi Mike,

That's what I was about to tell Tracy but when I went to my own settings in IE 5.5 I found that under the Programs tab in the Email option there is nothing to choose from in that drop-down box. So I have the same problem.

It doesn't actually bother me as I don't use that feature, but I'm now curious as to why this is so.

I can click on Make Default in OE but like Tracy has found, it doesn't stick and I'm sure it's because of the lack of options in IE.

tutaekuri
07-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Yeah - I have almost the same problem. The option in Outlook Express to make it the default is grayed-out and nothing appears in the drop-down list for default mail reader in IE. I have installed XP SP1 and Outlook Express does not appear in the list of mail programs in the add/remove bit of the control panel (the bit where you can change from Microsoft/Other/Custom arrangement). Have you found a fix?

Jim B
07-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Set Outlook Express as default mail client - Start/Run and type:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /REG. Or use this edit:
Here ( http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm)

If this does not work more info Here ( http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/mail/mail_006.htm)

rmcb
07-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a good time to stop using oe and get a decent e-mail client!
Have you considered Foxmail or Eudora?

tutaekuri
07-11-2002, 08:55 PM
You da man Jim B! That worked a treat!