PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disk Error at Startup

25-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Whenever I start up my families computer, the error 'Floppy disk(s) fail (40)' appears and I have to press F1 to continue.

Why does this happen whenever my families computer starts up, and how can I fix it?

Many Thanks,

Craig Pointon

25-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Can you access the floppy drive after the computer finishes booting up? Two possible things that could cause this problem are either a dislodged data cable or an incorrect setting in the BIOS.

The loose cable is unlikely unless you have been fiddling inside the case but it is possible it could have worked loose.

You can check the BIOS setting by pressing Del or Esc when the computer starts up. The floppy drive should be 3 1/2'.

25-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Not sure what that POST error means. Seems like they have changed it from what should have been the standard for POST errors.

It's pointing out that there's a fault with either detecting or verifying that the floppy disk drive exists. Sometimes it can be disabled in the BIOS and that there's an option that says halt on errors which also includes seeing if a floppy drive exists.

Does the floppy drive work in the operating system (Win9x, Win2k/XP)?

If it does then it would be a fault with the BIOS.

If you enter your BIOS and look for anything to do with the Floppy Disk Drive setting it to 3 1/2' 1.44MB, enabling it if it's disabled disabling seek for floppy.

If the floppy does work then you would enter the BIOS and tell it not to halt on errors.

26-04-2002, 08:41 AM
Hey Hey!

I had the same error message once. Someone had slipped a small card into the Floppy and it could not be read.

As a suggestion, check inside and see if that has happened to you.

Grand-children can be every so clever!

Bryan.

26-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks heaps for your help everyone!

Im still not sure what the reason for the error is, because the floppy drive works fine. I have disabled the floppy option in the bios anyway and nolonger recieve that message.

Craig Pointon