PDA

View Full Version : is there a pcworld/internet mag cd index?

24-04-2002, 07:54 AM
Since I discovered (about 1 year ago)PCWorld/Internet magazines and free Cd's my internet and computer experience has been nothing short of fantastic.

I was however wondering is there some sort of index/table of contents on this site that could direct me to what is on the CD's. Many times I would be told or I am in need of a particular software and I normally go to www.downloads.com to view and from there d/load. Apart from the time and risk of d/loading corrupt or virus infected software I get more annoyed when I find later on that that software was on a free CD that I already have grrr.

If there is *oops* please excuse me but I have been rummaging around here and cant seem to find any such search engine. I envision something like an alphabetical list of programs / software and then next to that a column of what month (s) that programme appeared and/or maybe link to developers webpage. Maybe a 'What's on the CD' webpage is needed. If there is then again I apologise and would appreciate a pointer in that direction. This could save me lots of time surfing and d/loading stuff I already have. Thanks

Sam

25-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Sam
To my knowledge, there is no index. Would be nice to have, but not sure how much work it would be.
For me, I tend to just keep them in a whacking big pile and it always takes me ages to find something.
I'll ask Scott if it can be done.

robo.

25-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Thanks for reply robo,

I appreciate this and would understand if cost/time/resources prevented this but I figured that this idea could be of benefit to others.

Maybe a 'template' type page could be developed listing months/year of cd's and let users add their view about what programmes they used off that cd and their opinions/problems/successes etc. Sort of like this page but for people to specifically discuss software from your cd's. Just a thought.

Cheers
Sam