PDA

View Full Version : new hard drive

23-04-2002, 08:19 PM
what is the best or easiest way to instal a new hard drive to replace an old drive which is still working just a bit small and slow I have just recently upgraded my mother board and cpu to 1.2gig

23-04-2002, 09:01 PM
look on the hardrive manafactures web site...they normally have a free tool to image one drive to another, or borrow a copy of ghost.

if you didn't do a full clean reinstall when you did the mobo change(unless your os is XP) the it would pay to do a full clean install then copy any data from the old drive over.

23-04-2002, 11:17 PM
why not have 2 drives? One for system, and one for 'stuff'. It workes for me!

23-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Why not have 2 drives? One for system, and one for 'stuff'. It works for me! Also has the advantage of even if you totally stuff up the system you can start again without losing your 'stuff'

24-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Why not have 2 drives? One for system, and one for 'stuff'. It works for me! Also has the advantage of even if you totally stuff up the system you can start again without losing your 'stuff'

24-04-2002, 12:14 AM
because he will want the os and main progs on the new FASTER harddrive. keeping the old to store backups is a good idea.

also if the new drive is quite large have a look at partitioning it.