PDA

View Full Version : Build a Games Server

23-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi, can anyone point me to a site that will give me information on building, configuring, & running a server for games?

I have some game mad friends locally & wish to attempt to build one so we can all play each other over the internet or even link several systems together in the same building.

Is this possible.

I know very little about servers etc. so a site that gives out info. in plain english would be very helpful.

I do know a bit about simple networking & am familiar with Linux & Windows.

Thanks.

23-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Before I get jumped on, sorry about the double post!

23-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Before I get jumped on, sorry about the double post!

23-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Nice one S Badly. :-D

Setting up a game server would be different depending on what game you were setting up. You will also need a fast internet connection too make it worthwhile, and it is against JetStart rules to set up a server.

JM

24-04-2002, 05:09 PM
My understanding is that most of the processing is done on the client machines, and the server is a scorekeeper, referee, etc. So the server dowes not have to be the most powerful one. I could be wrong.

You would be 'safest' running a game server LAN, rather than having it on the Internet. There are people out there with malicious intentions.

Linux runs servers very well. But what game servers there are for it, I don't know. Linux won't hold the 'work' up. And a server OS configuration costs the same as a client version: $0.00 .