PDA

View Full Version : Ihug Ultra

22-04-2002, 06:53 PM
We are moving our business to an area of Auckland that does not have Jetstream (boohoo...) Can the Ihug Ultra service by satellite be networked?

22-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Yes, i used to work for a place in CHCH that provided public internet access aimed at tourists. Our connection was an ihug satalite connection some 4 or 5 years ago, before it was called ultra.
This was back when it was flat rate, and we abused it seriously! It was grate, but did have problems which meant having to restrict/prioritise the outgoing traffic, as that is of course still through a modem. To keep it surfing well, Brett, our technical genius set up our own mail server, that spat mail out s-l-o-w-l-y so that it wouldn't stuff everything else up. The server for our internet connection, firewall mailserver etc was running on a NT box, but i don't know to much more about it. Good luck. I was running ultra here just over a year ago, hated it, and got a cable modem as soon as telstra finished digging the streets up.. but if you don't mind the datacharges, and your traffic is esentually incoming, you should be right.

23-04-2002, 07:16 AM
Yep, you can network your Ultra connection (although you apparantly arent supposed to). The safest way we have found to do it is using a program called winroute on the machine that has the satellite card in it. I have a link to a page that takes you through step by step how to do it, but its at work so ill have to stick it up later on today if u need it

23-04-2002, 06:04 PM
I run Ultra on a Win 98 network in the hills of Auckland (no Jetstream out here). It was a right pain to get the network working but I found an answer. I tried Wingate but couldn't get it working.

The answer was AnalogX proxy. Easy to set up, brilliant instructions and free.

We are unable to get MS Gaming working on the network but, as I'm not all that interested anyway, I still don't know if it's a missing protocol in the proxy (AnalogX is very basic) or a configuration problem.

You can find it here:

http://www.analogx.com/welcome.htm