PDA

View Full Version : Jetstart P2P Capping Violates Ethics

21-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Moving from dialup to Jetstart with Xtra was an excellent move, until we found out P2P applications are capped at ridiculously low 1kb\sec. When one reviews the advertising literature, no where does it say this will happen. Customers are being deceived, ripped off and anygry at the Xtra's lack of advice to new Jetsart customers. Not once was I informed about the capping practice. When approached, they said 'tough, perhaps move to Jetstream then'. I cannot afford Jetstream but hopefully one day the monoloplistic pricing approach of Xtra\Telecom will be shattered by real competition in the market place. We are one of the dearest countries in the world for broadband services. While Telecom are having difficulty making their revenue and profit targets, dont expect any relief for some years is my guess. Meanwhile, forget about any legal approach to the company, they simply exercise their distaste and ignorance of paying customers. Does anyone have any technical wizardy to get around the p2p capping under Jetstart?

Leanne

21-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Maybe try a different ISP. I could be wrong but Telecom/Xtra deny capping there jetstart though they are also on record that they dislike the p2p concept, more so where you are acting as the server.
I know people with Paradise, NetAccess and a couple of others that don't seem to have a problem with capping.

Also, without seeming to defend Telecom, remember that you can only download as fast as the upload from the other end so you will get a low download rate if you were uploading from someone using a older 14,28 or 36k modem.

21-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Not sure what all the crying is out there about p2p d/loading. There are lots of reasons why d/load rates will vary. The one mentioned by Gordon is the most common. You can only move data as fast as the slowest link.

To date the only program I have ever used that has allowed me to d/load at jetstart speed is winmx. I only select T3, T1, cable or adsl connections. Even this does not guarantee adsl speed as the person I am uploading from may decide to throttle my speed anyway. I can at best get 12/13 kB but only on a good day.

There is a condition with Jetstart that says you cannot act as a sever. Correct me if I am wrong but if I allow anyone to upload files from my computer then I am a server therefore breaching this clause. Get over it. When all things considered p2p programs means you are generally geting licensed or copyrighted files for FREE!!!
What more do you want.

I use zonealarm which ( I know that this is not very neighbourly but..)I have set to prevent winmx server rights.

By all means try other ISP's and if you can get better speed using p2p programs then please post results here so that we can all use them. I would love to hear about any ISP that can guarantee me that I can consistently d/load at jetstart speed. Otherwise I am staying put with Xtra. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't.

Sam

21-04-2002, 07:08 PM
Not sure what all the crying is out there about p2p d/loading. There are lots of reasons why d/load rates will vary. The one mentioned by Gordon is the most common. You can only move data as fast as the slowest link.

To date the only program I have ever used that has allowed me to d/load at jetstart speed is winmx. I only select T3, T1, cable or adsl connections. Even this does not guarantee adsl speed as the person I am uploading from may decide to throttle my speed anyway. I can at best get 12/13 kB but only on a good day.

There is a condition with Jetstart that says you cannot act as a sever. Correct me if I am wrong but if I allow anyone to upload files from my computer then I am a server therefore breaching this clause. Get over it. When all things considered p2p programs means you are generally geting licensed or copyrighted files for FREE!!!
What more do you want.

I use zonealarm which ( I know that this is not very neighbourly but..)I have set to prevent winmx server rights.

By all means try other ISP's and if you can get better speed using p2p programs then please post results here so that we can all use them. I would love to hear about any ISP that can guarantee me that I can consistently d/load at jetstart speed. Otherwise I am staying put with Xtra. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't.

Sam

21-04-2002, 08:06 PM
A footnote to my last comment... Things are a little slow around here, i have been downloading CD2 of mandrake 8.2 in the background, which explains why things are so slug-like at the moment
damn things taking ages, and it's only 6xxMb

21-04-2002, 08:43 PM
cool, so what does all that cost per month, set up fee, ISP charges data fee and house in Christchurch. If you get all speed and data with cable for less than $60 per month then hook me up, if not forget it.

21-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi Chris, are you on jetstart ot jetstream & how long did it take to download CD2 & what brand/model modem are you using?

Sorry about all the questions but I am considering switching & need some info.

Thanks

23-04-2002, 09:44 AM
The penny dropped, and i finally realised why my P2P downloads are so often faster if the are from overseas, and i used to think it was because NZ was full of modem connections, i realise that we have lots of broadband, and the problems may be ISP policy!

What i am wondering now is if any of the ISPs put similar restrictions on P2P on dial up. A freind of mine on quicksilver cannot share files through ICQ's shared folder, i have not checked her system, but she has no firewall or anything i am aware of that might be expected to stuff it up. When i try to access some stuff she put in her 'shared' folder me, it refuses to transfer. Another restriction perhaps?

How much of our internet activity is being stopped by the very people who are supposed to be providing it? If we pay for service, and we agree to pay for excess data tranfer, then who has the right to restrict what we can connect to in any way?