PDA

View Full Version : Free music download programs & file sharing?

21-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Can anybody please give me some imfo/advice on free music downloading programs - I have not given any a try yet and would like to, but i wanted to get a better understanding of how they work and what the FILE SHARING part entails, the program i am looking at is called WINMX. There was an article in imag - issue Jan/feb 02 pg 32, regarding the use of one of these programs and the child running up an extremely large phone bill through the use of this file sharing component, so i just wanted to get a bit better understanding of how the file sharing part actually works, and if it makes your computer vulnerable to hacking? in the article it said you give others permission to share the download and get the data from your pc. I am not on a jetstream connection as the child was - i use xtra unlimited monthly account and windows XP.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks heaps.
P.S The description given on the web site is: Free file sharing program. It allows you to simultaneously connect through the decentralized WINMX peer networking protocol and to many networks based on the open nap and napster protocols.
Also my friend who uses this has had problems with his connection and says this was the last thing he installed -could this program cause connection problems?

21-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Hello,
I've been using winmix for sometime now over a dailup connection, and have had very little problem with it.

The large bill recieved was over a dsl, or cable internet connection, and the uploading and downloading of files, would exceeded the set parameters. Over dail up there isnt a problem with this at all.

I've never had a problem with viruses been sent via winmix, and yes a person using winmix can upload music from your computer, but only from the folder that you nominate. they cant wander around on your computer having a look see.

I use it for finding mp3 music, which is completely free, however,there is some rubbish, so check the song by playing it before completing the download.

I would suggest downloading one song at a time as the more you try to download, the slower it gets.
Winmx has its own servers for music, and also allows you access to napster networks, however, I've found all my music on the winmix network.

when looking to download a song, look for the smallest and quickest version. eg. a cable, or dsl or T1, are the quickest, and the size of the mp3 is shown in kbs.

good luck,
Bob

21-04-2002, 07:24 PM
There are other mp3 downloaders. AudioGalaxy, Kazza, WinMX, Bearshare, to name just some.
If you are on a unlimited account whether dialup or jetstart you will not have a problem with your phone bill. Jetstream on the other hand would be very easy to bust the set limit and could incur a rather painful bill afterwards.
As for sharing, during setup you will nominate a folder to download to and a folder to upload from. Only the tracks in that upload folder will be available for uploading.
Virus's, always possible and good prastice would be to scan all downloads before running them.
As for being hacked, nothing is impossible but the use of a firewall does reduce any risk further.
Happy downloading.!!

21-04-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi Bob, thanks heaps for that imformation and sharing your knowledge (I have used the advice you have given others on this site before!!and appreciate you sharing your experience!)
I am sorry to be a pest but while i have somebody like you i just had a couple more queries in relation to WINMX - if you don't mind?(some of the questions may be a bit stupid to somebody like you)
How do you know when people are downloading off your computer? What about if you log off while somebody is downloading? or the same in reverse when i am downloading off somebody?
Presumably you are just automatically redirected to someones computer and nominated folder? With no personal imfo etc just like from any other site, would that be right? Would you say for instance get a computer code or something with the computer path open given automatically?
That brings me to my next question re-path, what about my firewall, do you have to leave that open permanently or can it just be open for that program? Say like in windows messenger for instance.
Finally (sorry!!!I am just learning and like to know how these things work)
Would people downloading slow up my work/connection activities on other things like surfing,downloading etc..?
Big thanks in advance to you or anybody else who may be able to help with these questions. And once again big thanks to you Bob!!

21-04-2002, 08:48 PM
I've been using Audio Galaxy on a cable modem for just on a year now, i have received allmost 10,000 songs in that time. All that listening and making sure they are what they are supposed to be is so tedious, so there is a danger you might spend the rest of your life sitting infront of a PC listening to music :-)

As for data transfered, well not that much, here is my figures: sent: 48,632.51 MB / recv: 40,551.79 MB
One word of advise, if you get a desant collection, invest in good back up, a CDR or a HUGE HD, otherwise you might get heartbroken like i was a few weeks back when a 30gig HD went belle up, and i lost over 4,000 mp3's in one quick mishap!

21-04-2002, 09:26 PM
I would recommend Kazaa.
www.kazaa.com

WinMX doesn't have the numbers.

If you are going to use kazaa I would recommend getting a firewall. ZoneAlarm is one of the best and it has a free version for download.
www.zonelabs.com

21-04-2002, 10:47 PM
have a look at kazaa lite its a modded ver of kazaa. basicly kazaa minus the spyware crap.

22-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Hello Again,
glad to be of help, here are some further answers.
the interface that you will use to download songs is divided in two, the top portion tracks your download, and the bottom portion tracks the uploads, you can see immediattely that someone is uploading. two many uploads can slow your downloading too, but you can confiquire it to control how many uploads you want to allow.

there is a resume if there is dissconnection from the net. so you start downloading the song from where you left off. The same applys to uploading. This feature can sometimes be unreliable.

I'm sorry I cant answer your questions about the firewall, as I never use one.

good luck,
Bob

23-04-2002, 09:57 AM
hi, winmx is a great program for file sharing and downloading mp3s. you wont have a problem with a big phone bill if you are onb an unlimited hours account. I have used winmx for a while and it is great i am only on 56k dail up and i can download a 5 mb mp3 in as short as 10 mins and get a speed up to 13k/s. it is also peer 2 peer so you dont have to stay on the server when you are downloading only to search. I recomnd this prgram as the best file sharing program out there.

23-04-2002, 09:58 AM
hi, winmx is a great program for file sharing and downloading mp3s. you wont have a problem with a big phone bill if you are on an unlimited hours account. I have used winmx for a while and it is great i am only on 56k dail up and i can download a 5 mb mp3 in as short as 10 mins and get a speed up to 13k/s. it is also peer 2 peer so you dont have to stay on the server when you are downloading only to search. I recomnd this prgram as the best file sharing program out there.

23-04-2002, 09:59 AM
hi, winmx is a great program for file sharing and downloading mp3s. you wont have a problem with a big phone bill if you are on an unlimited hours account. I have used winmx for a while and it is great i am only on 56k dail up and i can download a 5 mb mp3 in as short as 10 mins and get a speed up to 13k/s. it is also peer 2 peer so you dont have to stay on the server when you are downloading only to search. I recomnd this prgram as the best file sharing program out there.

24-04-2002, 12:45 AM
BIG THANKS TO ALL THE ABOVE RESPONSES - AWESOME!! JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW AND MORE!!
THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERTISE!!

25-04-2002, 08:38 AM
yea,
ive been reading through the things and ive found one of the best file sharing programs (mostly including mp3's) all connected to other programs that use the network.
back to what it is , well its on the site www.grokster.com
just download it and it should b easy to set up!.
Richard

25-04-2002, 04:06 PM
I advice you to download the program 'Ad-aware', or something simliar.

Just like Kazza, i'm sure that there are other common music-download programs which contain spyware and/or other harmful things.

Craig Pointon