PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

19-04-2002, 11:27 PM
I am building a small system for the kids & have a problem.

When the machine boots it does all the right things, i.e. finds the CPU (K6/2 450), detects the hard drive correctly, CDrom, counts the ram etc. but every time I get the same error message 'floppy boot fail' I press F1 to continue and it does to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Aha I think, motherboard is faulty after replacing, cables, floppy, hard drive etc. so I get another motherboard (same model) VA503+. Same thing. I have swapped video cards, hard drives, cables, ram etc. etc.

The 2 hard drives I am using both have OSes on them as I had them running on one of the motherboards a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone suggest something obvious I am missing. Also do the serial & parallel ports have to be plugged into the board for the machine to boot.
Can it be jumper settings if the CPU, ram etc is identified properly during POST.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

19-04-2002, 11:52 PM
gee i still have one of those boards (need another one too)

www.fic.com.tw

disable the floppy drive check in bios and also check the boot order.

try the floppy cable the other way around. check you have it on the right plug on the floppy cable.

the ports don't need to be plugged in. just need floppy,cd,HD,cpu,ram and vid card.

what are your jumber settings? if you do't have a manaul check the web site.

20-04-2002, 12:17 AM
is the floppy drive light on all the time?? That means the cables round the wrong way (I learnt that here!) :)

20-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Thanks Tweak'e but I've already done all of the above. It's really got me beat as to why it stalls after post & won't boot up. Especially on both boards and 2 hard drives. I must be really jinxed to have 2 dud m/boards.

Does your board go? Do you want to sell it?

20-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Another possibility is that the 2 harddrives are jumpered incorrectly. Are they set as Master-Slave or cable select?
I had the same problem and it was because I was using cable select, once I forced them to master-slave I had no problems.

20-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys, but I've tried all those already. Jumpers are set to master, & it doesn't ask for the floppy again. It POSTS, correctly identifies the hard drive, ram, CDrom keyboard etc then says 'floppy fail', gives me the option to press F1 to continue, which I do & all I get is a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. When I put the hard drives back in the other 2 systems they boot fine. I have changed just about every bios setting there is, then gone back to defaults still with no joy.

Thanks for your efforts

20-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys, but I've tried all those already. Jumpers are set to master, & it doesn't ask for the floppy again. It POSTS, correctly identifies the hard drive, ram, CDrom keyboard etc then says 'floppy fail', gives me the option to press F1 to continue, which I do & all I get is a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. When I put the hard drives back in the other 2 systems they boot fine. I have changed just about every bios setting there is, then gone back to defaults still with no joy.

Thanks for your efforts