PDA

View Full Version : AVG anti virus

19-04-2002, 12:41 PM
I run Pegasus Mail V4.01 and recently installed AVG
My problem is that allthough I have ticked the email Check and certify outgoing and receive emails it does not appear to work
eg there is now information on the email.
The problem is I do not know if it is working or not??

19-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Try this:

Copy this line of text:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Paste it into notepad and save the file as eicar.com

Then try send it as an attachment to your own email address and see what happens.

If virus checker should pick it up.

THIS IS NOT A REAL VIRUS!!!

Just a standard test file!

19-04-2002, 01:20 PM
WOW

Great test!

I saved the line to the notepad doc, started a new email, then when I double clicked it to attached, AVG went to a DOS looking window saying it was infected! It then quarantined it.

Thanks for the info, bro, see ya

j.

19-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately the AVG mail scanner is designed to work with Microsoft Outlook e-mail client, and does not support all email programs. That's why it is not adding the certification messages to outgoing and incoming mail.

Zonealarm does a good job of quarantining dubious attachments, including the EICAR Test File,(European Institute of Computer Anti-virus Research), which it renames eicar.zl6

The eicar.com test file is a very useful tool. AVG will protest at you when you try to do anything with it, and to send it as an attachment you will have to tell AVG to allow access.

Cheers.

20-04-2002, 03:09 AM
I tried it and AVG picks it up and brings up alert as soon as you try and
save the file.

I have gone Schizophrenic today

20-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Full marks to AVG.It picked up the (bogus)virus when I tried to save the file in Notepad and made it inaccessable.

When I tried to send it as an attachment via Outlook Express AVG reminded me that the file could not be accessed and was infected.