PDA

View Full Version : Attn Gordon: Re Deleting IE5 folders

19-04-2002, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the info. When I go to delete any subfolder in the IE5 folder I get the following message. Am a bit nervous about the statement in it 'if you delete it Windows or another programme may not work correctly'.

The message - The folder (whatever it is) is a system folder. If you delete it Windows or another folder may no longer work correctly. Are you sure you want to delete this folder and move its contents to the recylce bin
Yes No

Does this happen or are they being super cautious? I don't want to get problems with Windows. I asked another question for you on my thanks reply on the original posting if you have time to look at it. Many thanks EC

19-04-2002, 06:37 AM
I delete them all the time, and I've never had any trouble. It's just a scare tactic.

Has Microsoft ever made any OFFICIAL statement as to what the Content.IE5 folder and the related .dat file are actually supposed to be FOR?

Whate legitimate function, if any, do they serve; or are they simply a spy mechanism?

Steve B.

19-04-2002, 07:16 AM
I have never had the warning you describe. If in doubt leave it alone is a good policy.
You could open up each of the sub folders and delete manaully the contents of each. They should be full of junk that you have collected from your travels around various web sites.
The one file that windows will not want you deleting is one called index.dat which should be in the main folder.

19-04-2002, 09:09 AM
The Spider program that I recommended in your last post was originally recommended by some very very experienced computer people on another forum that I visit.

It gets rid of all your cookies, temp internet files, history and that ever-expanding index.dat file which contains untold evidence of where you've been. It also slows down your surfing after a period of time.

Like I said the only problem with it is that it may delete all your history when you have not told it to do so, but that doesn't bother me because there's too much junk in there anyway.

I use Spider all the time and haven't had a problem yet. I like knowing that all the web junk is purged within seconds, neatly, easily and with no sweat (or swearing!).

There is good information about it at the website that I posted for you to have a look if you wish.

19-04-2002, 09:16 AM
Try this.

Start/Settings/Control Panel.

Select Internet options and under General you will see Temporary Internet Files. You are able to delete the Temporary Internet files from here (won't remove the index.dat). If you want to do that, use the deltree as suggested by another post); and if you really want to, you can clear the history files in the next section too.

Bryan.

19-04-2002, 10:39 AM
try windowwasher and regcleaner ad-aware

20-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Interesting. I opened the first subfolder of Temporary IE5 to delete contents, and the normal query about, do you want to delete these files etc came. Deleted the contents of that folder and all the contents of all the other 36 folders, plus the contents of the Cookies folder, were all cleared at the same time.

When I tried to delete any of the actual IE5 sub folders, the sign you do not get came up, about them being system folders.

At the moment I am just exploring what is happening before I try any of the other suggestions. Am wondering why cookies go into the different folders, how and why are the cookies sorted into these different folders. I think I will ask Microsoft. Maybe they will answer. Thanks EC