PDA

View Full Version : Using Partitions when Dual Booting

19-04-2002, 12:36 AM
I have recently Partitioned the HDD into 4 parts using FDisk.
I have Win98SE on C:,am planning to put W2k on D:, apps on E: & Data on F:
My question is will the apps run under both operating systems or only the one they were installed under. If it is the latter of the two, will I have to install them with each OS. Ie, on C: & D: instead of E:
Any input would be appreciated before I install W2k or any apps.
Thanks

19-04-2002, 01:49 AM
Yes it can be done, you have to export the registry keys after you have installed the programs, and merge them with the other OS, but this can be difficult, and you may run into problems because there are differences in the registries of the two OS's.

Also, some programs use the registry to store program settings, which can cause problems.

The only thing you can do is experiment.

19-04-2002, 03:28 AM
How I do it is two different installations. That way the registry keys and the system files are stored correctly.

If the program on the other hand is for a particular Operating System and have their own type of OS in mind. e.g. Norton Antivus and Norton Antivirus NT. Then this method will not work.

19-04-2002, 09:15 AM
I have been told that programs like MS Office don't like to be stored on partitions other than the same partition as Windows.

If you install Win98 on C: and Office on D: then later on format C: Office will throw a wobbly. It is best to install Office on C: with Win98 but I wouldn't know if your W2K would be able to run it from there.

You could post another message asking that specific question, otherwise experiment and find out.

19-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Apart from the obvious question of using another machine, why is it necessary that you install two operating systems on a single machine?

You can only access one at a time.

Also all application software that is to be accessable to both operating systems must be installed on each OS partition - yes each installation is done twice.

Yes all you ask can be done - but your apparent inexperience indicates possibly a high level of frustration and a high probability of problems and data loss.

19-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Merlin,
It is indeed not necessary to have two operating systems on one machine, but I have had ongoing issues with W98SE stability, so I am doing this in an attempt to improve not only the machine, but my own skills as well.
Thank's to everyone for the feedback anyway.