PDA

View Full Version : DSE Network Stuff

18-04-2002, 07:25 PM
what do u guys make of the dse network cards and switchs. I want to put together a simple network with two PC's but will have a laptop connected everynow and again, plus hope to invite friends over for gaming. The network will only really be used for gaming and sharing an internet connection. I was lookin at buying:

2x DSE 10/100Mbps PCI Network Card (with the Realtek RTL8139C Chipset)

1x DSE Switch 10/100Mbps 5 Port

and sum good old Cat 5 cable

if you don't reckonmend these could u pls reckonmend some others, preferably cheap.

18-04-2002, 07:44 PM
I would reccomend DSE network cards just as much as any other. They are good quality and quite cheap. As for the hub, a i have a 5 port hub from dse which is great although for 'future proofness' (i made that word up) i'd consider buying an 8 port one. As for the cables you can get them cheaper elsewhere but the difference in price is not enough to warrant the effort and time to go elsewhere ($2 or $3 difference)

18-04-2002, 07:44 PM
I have one of those cards and it works fine for gaming and file sharing.

The chipset is widely used and well supported, but is not the best around.

18-04-2002, 07:50 PM
The DSE network cards are fine (i purchased one but winXP will not even detect so i use that in my win98 box and an older one in my winXP box) the switch is quite good, i use that also, and it is all good (i use it mostly for net connection and games).

However, they are not the cheapest place... Try www.stylespc.com or pp.co.nz or hec.co.nz (they all ship stuff rapidly and have good prices)
I would say, get the switch from DSE, and the cards from somewhere else, also try a local computer store (not noel leemings, pc company etc, but an actual computer shop)

The cable can best be got from a computer shop and should not cost much more than $1 per metre. Get them to make it to your size requirements, or better yet, buy the cable and end plugs and find someone you know who has a cat5 crimping tool and do it yourself.

Craig.

18-04-2002, 07:56 PM
On second thoughts... I just went looking at pp.co.nz and this is what i found:

For a switch:

Cameo 5-Port 10/100Mbps Nway Fast Ethernet Switch, 5x STP $113
--or--
Cameo 8-Port 10/100Mbps Nway Fast Ethernet Switch, 8x STP + 1x Uplink $150

Network Cards:

CNet Pro200 10/100 PCI Network Adaptor. $29

Cable:

CAT 5 Cable RJ45 M/M 2M $5
CAT 5 Cable RJ45 M/M 5M $10
Cat 5 Cable RJ45 M/M 10M $15
Cat 5 Cable RJ45 M/M 20M $20

All their prices include GST and free delivery in NZ, you can't ask for much better.

email them: info@pp.co.nz

Craig.

18-04-2002, 10:52 PM
I have to say I like those DSE (Realtek) Network Cards.

As for the hub I would look elsewhere for a cheaper one as this seems to be well over priced and could possibly get you an 8 port for that much.

19-04-2002, 03:56 PM
thanks for the help guys, the Cameo 8-Port 10/100Mbps Nway Fast Ethernet Switch sounds really good and i think thats wat i'll get but wat do u reckonmend theCNet Pro200 10/100 PCI Network Adaptor or the Realtek Card for DSE?

thanx