PDA

View Full Version : AMR Slot

18-04-2002, 06:13 PM
What is this used for? Is it important when bying a MB to have one? Bye

18-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Audio Modem Riser.

That's all I can tell you.

18-04-2002, 07:25 PM
Basically it is a different type of slot that allows mb manufacturers to make a 'cheaper' add on card for features such as a modem that are run by the motherboard/processor.

Not largely important as a feature; standalone cards usually cost less and provide less trouble.

18-04-2002, 07:32 PM
AMR slot was the short lived predecessor to CNR (Communication and Networking Riser).

ATX form factor made a quantum leap past AT for standardising connections, almost every PC system requires connectivity (network or modem) and sound. The ATX does not directly address these needs. To help manufacturers develop a standard connection for these devices, Intel forwarded the CNR specification in early 2000. The CNR provides a dedicated bus, free of electronic noise, to support network, modem, or sound devices - all of which tend to suffer from electronic noise to some degree.

Intel makes a strong point, saying: 'CNR does not define an aftermarket standard I/O (input/output) bus. Only system manufacturers and integrators should use CNR.' In other words don't bother going to the local computer store to find a card to snap into that CNR slot. You cannot find any CNR devices in the retail channel. CNR has a standard connection, but the pinouts vary from system to system. Even if you could get your hands on a CNR device, it probably would not work in your system.

So AMR was short lived and CNR has it's downside. If you need to add something to your system, get PCI otherwise you'll probably have a non used port.

18-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your replies. There was very little info about it on the net, but as usual KK has got the info I wanted. Bye